Estimated reading time: 3 mins
As a senior, I know that staying fit and active is essential for maintaining a good quality of life. For many seniors, the challenge can be finding an activity that is enjoyable, low impact and suitable for all ages. This is where pickleball comes in; it’s the perfect sport for seniors!
What is Pickleball, first of all?
Pickleball combines elements of several popular sports including badminton, tennis and table tennis, making it a unique game that is fun and easy to learn. It has fast become one of the most popular social activities amongst the senior community with pickleball clubs popping up around the country. Pickleball was invented in 1965 as a children’s backyard game on Bainbridge Island, Washington. Pickleball was adopted as the official state sport of Washington in 2022!
Why is it good for seniors?
Here are just some of the reasons why pickleball is so well suited to seniors:
- Low Impact Workout – Pickleball requires minimal physical exertion yet still provides a great workout. The court size is much smaller than tennis meaning less ground needs to be covered which makes it easier on joints and muscles than traditional sports like running or basketball. Pickleball can also be played at varying levels of intensity so players can adjust according to their fitness level and age.
- Social Environment – Pickleball has quickly become one of the most popular activities among seniors due to its social aspect. Games often involve multiple players which makes them ideal for meeting new people or catching up with old friends in a relaxed setting. The nature of pickleball means people from different age groups can play together which helps bridge any generational gap between young and old players, which is great for mental wellbeing.
- Short Sessions – A typical game lasts anywhere from 10-30 minutes so it’s perfect for those who don’t have time (or energy!) for long sessions on court. This allows players to get into games quickly without having to worry about overdoing it or getting tired too quickly – ideal for keeping your energy levels up throughout a session. It’s great cardio exercise in the right dose.
- Affordable Equipment – Compared to other racket sports such as tennis or squash, pickleball equipment is relatively inexpensive which makes it more accessible than other sports activities available to seniors today. All you need is some basic equipment such as paddles, balls and nets along with access to an outdoor court or indoor facility if necessary.
- Adaptable Rules – Pickleball rules are set by local clubs but they are usually simple enough that even newcomers can understand them without difficulty. These rules can also be modified according to individual preferences; for example if one player has limited mobility then games could be played using wheelchair access regulations instead of standard playing rules. This allows each individual player’s needs to be taken into account so everyone feels included regardless of their physical ability or fitness level – ideal for creating an enjoyable environment where everyone feels comfortable joining in!
- Easy To Learn – As mentioned earlier, pickleball isn’t difficult to learn – even complete beginners will soon get the hang of things after only a few attempts! The basics involve hitting a lightweight plastic ball back and forth between two teams across an indoor/outdoor court using wooden paddles; this means anyone can give it ago regardless of their experience with similar racket sports like badminton or squash before hand!
- Fun & Engaging – Last but not least, despite being easy to learn, playing pickleball still offers plenty of competitive fun! With its mix of strategy and skill based play plus plenty opportunities for friendly banter between teammates/opponents alike – you won’t want your session on court come end anytime soon!
All things considered there are many reasons why I believe pickleball should be adopted by more seniors today as the perfect way stay active, whilst enjoying yourself in a relaxed environment with friends both old and new alike! So what are you waiting for? Search online now and find your nearest club today – you won’t regret giving this exciting sport a go…