Estimated reading time: 3 mins
We’ve all been there; those times where you’re just not feeling like your best, shiniest self. Whether it was a breakup that was the onset, the stress of the COVID-19 pandemic, or a battle with self-identity, it’s completely normal to go through a funk phase every now and then. The key to making it through is being able to find things that make you feel good and help you find your center.
There are lots of resources on this subject – for example you could look at the Center for Advancing Health. However, in this post, we’re sharing our 5 favorite natural mood boosters to help you get out of a funk and start feeling 100% once again.
Exercise is one of the most effective natural mood boosters you’ll find. When you work out, your body releases mood-boosting chemicals like serotonin and dopamine, while also flushing out toxins and minimizing stress. There are so many mental and physical health benefits to working up a sweat but motivating yourself to do so isn’t always so easy.
To help you reap the benefits of exercise and add it into your daily routine, follow these simple steps:
- Think of your workout as a treat to yourself, a time to focus on you, zone out, and feel good.
- Set goals, but don’t beat yourself up overtaking a rest day here and there.
- Mix it up! Don’t let your workouts become boring, stay motivated with these fun ideas:
- Be flexible—you might not always be able to make it to the gym or a group class, but you can probably fit in an on-demand fitness class from the comfort of your home.
Did you know stepping out in nature can boost happiness, increase positivity, and reduce stress? Several studies from around the globe have made the connection between the outdoors and internal well-being. One study found that urbanites who walked for just 20 minutes through a neighborhood park experienced more stress relief than those who walked through the city center.
The other major plus? Many outdoor activities can be combined with exercise so you can check off two mood boosters in just one activity. Here are some of our favorite ways to spend time outdoors:
- Trail running or hiking: These activities are perfect if you just want to squeeze in a quick workout or spend a day out in nature. Just grab yourself some trail shoes, pack yourself a picnic, some sunscreen, and bring plenty of water.
- Camping: If you’ve got a day or two to spare, camping is an excellent way to get your outdoor fix. There’s nothing that will lift your spirits quite like sitting around a campfire with your best friends. If you’re more of a “glamper,” opt for a private camping site instead of a public campground or dispersed camping. Some of these rentable spaces even put you up in picturesque teepees, retro trailers, and charming tiny homes.
- Beach day: Researchers from the University of Exeter have found that people who live on the cost are generally happier than those who don’t. So, why not experience the uplifting and stress-reducing sea breeze for yourself?
Self-care has become a really popular buzzword over the last few years, and for good reason. This new focus on mental health and stress management has helped people get the tools they need to become their best selves.
Here are some soothing self-care activities to help you chill out and improve your mood:
- Do something creative
- Take a bath
- Do breathing exercises
- Paint your nails
- Do a face mask
- Sit outside
4. Natural supplements
Our bodies need tons of vitamins and minerals in order to function properly—this includes physical and mental function. For the most part, a healthy diet will supply the nutrients that you need, but supplements can be a great way to fill in any open gaps.
Some of the best mood-enhancing supplements you can take include:
- Vitamin D
- Green Tea
5. Support system
Everyone needs a good support system! Whether it’s to get you through the bad times or keep you uplifted in the good times, it’s always nice to have people on your side. Make it a point to get together with friends and family, especially when you’re in a funk.
How do you handle phases of funk? Let us know your mood-boosting tips in the comments below.