Estimated reading time: 3 mins
Can you please help me protect our environment – because I can’t do it without you.
Today I acquired a web property called SnaffleUp because I am hell-bent on reducing the amount of usable, serviceable products that end up being thrown into land-fill. It’s crazy that as a society we bury so much stuff that could be used by other people in our community who can’t afford to buy.
So I thought hang on a minute Simon, something has to be done – after all it’s my kids that will inherit any mess we make.
Perhaps obviously, I decided that using my skills, connections and reach, I will promote the recycling of usable items to people who are probably unaware that the opportunity to save money and the environment is even possible; because this is the main challenge in recycling: most people just don’t know that this is a viable option.
Sure, public recycling centers are prevalent, but these help only the people who have something to get rid of. But what about the folks who desperately need something, like a washing machine or chest of drawers, but don’t know where to go?
Besides, recycling centers don’t work for people who don’t have transport of their own – it’s a non-starter. And sadly eBay isn’t really geared for giving away items too.
Surely there is an alternative? Other than Freecycle, the long established forum-based recycling website, there were only a few services that connected people with stuff to give away with the people who wanted it.
So then I discovered SnaffleUp. SnaffleUp – Free Recycle Goods is an existing service active since 2006 and has saved just short of 30,000 items from clogging up the earth. It was already established and had a small community of active users in the UK, the USA and New Zealand. It was for sale, at a price I could afford, and technology I can adapt and improve. Won’t bore you with the details but after due-diligence and a successful handover, I’ve become the owner of this marvellous property.
But here’s the thing. It won’t work without you. It needs people to offer stuff, and other people to take that stuff.
Anybody can add listings, and there are plenty of categories to choose. Games, power-tools, furniture, clothes – all sorts of cool stuff. Add a picture too.
It’s region-centric, and needs generous and responsible people like you to lead the way in building up the community of recyclers in your area. Any contribution is welcome.
Did you know that a first-edition of Harry Potter and the Philosophers Stone was disposed of in land-fill – now worth $50,000?
A List of Amazing stuff that is high in demand (otherwise destined for land-fill)
Got any of these that you no longer use? Please put them on SnaffleUp.
- Bedroom furniture, especially wooden bed frames
- Reading spectacles (believe it or not!)
- Wheelchairs and mobility aids
- Dog beds and baskets
- Power drills and power tools
- Dining tables and chairs
- Electric generators
- Musical instruments
- Timber and building materials
- Baby clothes
- Student-related items
Can you please help me save the environment? Here’s how you can.
- It’s not just about offering items for recycling – they need to be accepted and collected too. Rather than opting for the shiny, shrink-wrapped option, why not take a pre-loved item from a good home?
- If you see something on SnaffleUp that you know your family or friend would love, please tell them it’s there.
- Spread the word – tell people about SnaffleUp
- Share this post!
Check out these similar posts:
- Top Tips to Dress for Success
- Going Eco-Friendly with Your Business is Easier than you Think
- A Broad Spectrum: Commercial Spaces For Every Budget
- Clean Up The Town: Helpful Ideas To Make Your Town Greener
- Modern Heroes: Choosing Skills Which Could Save The World