Estimated reading time: 1 mins
Are you considering moving job? Is your current job at risk? I can share with you Six Expert Tips for negotiating your salary, should you need them. But once you have read them, can you do any better? Then let us know.
1. Fully grasp what you want, and what you don’t want. Make sure you’re very clear about the package you want. Don’t just consider the salary, look at the other benefits to. The worst negotiator is one that doesn’t know what he wants.
2. Research. Research the current market value of your role and use it in negotiation. You’ll need to know the upper and lower brackets of pay and cross-match it with the right location and industry. This information will put you in a strong position in the negotiation.
3. Ask questions. Don’t be shy in asking questions about all the benefits. If you don’t ask, you don’t get. Ask until you’re told No. No is the answer you want to hear as you’ll know you’ve hit an upper limit.
4. Negotiate yourself. Don’t go through an intermediary or agent when completing the negotiation. These guys will stiff you. If you don’t, the process will be punctuated with delay. You need to be in total control.
5. Don’t accept a deferred rise. Dismiss any conversation that tempts you to defer an additional rise after a review or probation period. It’s rare that this works out in the way you expect. Your boss could move on and your organization can easily ‘forget’.
6. Practice. Learn answers to salary questions of your desired salary. It’s very good to speak clearly and confidently.
7. Be flexible. You should always be flexible within the band of pay you are satisfied with. It’s so easy to lose a top job over a few bucks.