Estimated reading time: 1 mins
Does your smartphone run out of juice, often? Here is a neat solution to recharge your devices without a power outlet.
When your phone runs out of power, it can feel like a disaster. It normally happens to me when I absolutely – utterly – totally need it not to, like using GPS to find my way somewhere. I normally have battery backup – but there has been painful occasions when I’m totally out of power…
Then what do we do?
So here is a neat solution to those disasters. A hand-crank recharger that works off human power. Plugin you charger cable, connect it to your phone, and begin turning the crank.
Hey presto! Your phone is re-charged.
These things work a treat, and can re-charge most devices that use USB. No longer do we have to suffer periods of total-blackout, just when we don’t need it.
Here is a great example – the K-Tor 120 Volt 10 Watt Hand Crank Generator (pictured). This baby has enough output to recharge most portable devices, even a laptop.
Essential for all business travellers!
Do they really work?
They sure do! But don’t expect to just turn the handle a couple of times and you’re back to full charge. The power generated is like a wall socket, so your phone will recharge at the same rate as a standard re-charge. Which means, to get to a full charge, you might be turning that crank for many minutes. So they’re really only for emergency use.
That said, they work a treat.
What to look for when choosing one
There are many different models to choose from, but here are a few pointers for you:
- If you’re an Apple user, make sure that the device outputs to the what your Apple product needs, which is often higher than other smartphones or tablets. The iPad is especially fussy
- Look for devices that output about 10 Watts. Lower output will mean you’ve got to crank a lot more!
- Check that the device will stand rigorous use. Some of the cheaper units are not sturdily built and are likely to break when you need it the most
- Check that your chosen device will fit into your bag, case or pocket
- Now you can recharge your smartphone whilst pedalling to work on your bike
- Essential Kit: Emergency Recharge your Smartphone
- Why We Should All Carry a Google Chromecast in Our Pocket
- How I use my Kindle for work, at work
- Why I Love the Mophie Space Pack
- 4 reasons why you should get a GoPro Hero
- Confidentiality In The Workplace: Are Your Policies Up To Scratch?
- Utilising Technology In Your Business
- 7 Apps That Will Take Students Through Their Studies
- How to keep pace with technology change