Estimated reading time: 1 mins
If disaster or disappointment strikes, it’s normal to ask ourselves why. Why did I fail? Why didn’t I get the job? But these questions aren’t the RIGHT questions to ask. They’re not helpful!
I was just checking out Michael Hyatt‘s blog and found his post The Power of Asking the Right Question. Michael proposes that asking questions that reinforce the reasons for failure destroy hope. If you were to ask yourself Why didn’t I get that job? you might then answer yourself that you’re under-qualified, too arrogant, too old, unattractive, etc…
What help are those answers? None at all…
As Michael says, this is a good example of a bad question.
It’s pointless asking ourselves questions that further deepen our crisis and damage our self-esteem. It’s best not to ask these questions in the first place!
What Makes a RIGHT Question?
Firstly, here’s a clue. Avoid starting your question with WHY. ‘Why’ starts us down the negative route.
Much better: start your questions with HOW. ‘How’ puts us into a problem-solving mode. How is open ended, and lubricates the wheels of action.
- How can I avoid these failures again?
- How can I become a more suitable candidate?
- How do I make my resume stand out?
These questions helps us think of the problem from a fresh perspective, and gives us hope. When I do this, I instantly feel the buzz of hope in the pit of my stomach. I feel energized.
So if you find yourself asking yourself WHY something didn’t happen, then reevaluate the question and ask yourself HOW you can change future opportunities.
- Why Your Job Applications Are Getting Ignored
- What to do when you have burnt bridges with ex-colleagues
- As a High-Performer, You’ve Gotta Cope With Defeat
- What To Do When You Have Messed Up At Work
- 5 Major Gaffes I’ve Made as an IT Manager
- Ask Yourself the RIGHT Question
- 5 Ways To Deal With Criticism and Critics
- Mistakes I Made as a Freelance Web Developer and How To Avoid Them
- Laid Off/Made Redundant? Here’s what to do with your finances
- How to Recover from Upsetting Your Boss – Like a Pro
- How to Cope with Cold-Calling
- Laid Off? 7 Essential Things To Do Immediately After a Lay Off
- ‘I want to stop beating myself up’ – here’s how to do it
- The cure to stress your shrink doesn’t want you to know about…
- Qualified, Experienced but can’t get a job
- Is the evil ‘system’ restricting you?
- How to Get Through a Collapse of Your Business
- Scrappy Startups – How Small Business Can Harness Technology to Compete and Win